” These are the yummiest cakes ever, my sons favorite. Use good quality chocolate, and avoid over-cooking, to be rewarded by crispy exteriors and meltingly soft centers. Its worth making them, just to see the joy in my kids faces …”
- 200 grams dark cooking chocolate
- 200 grams butter
- 4 eggs
- 125 grams castor sugar
- 60 grams flour
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter (for double boiling, put chocolate and butter in a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of shimmering water (a double boiler), making sure that the water does not touch the chocolate bowl. So the chocolate is melted only by the steam).
- Take it off heat and add sugar to the chocolate/butter mix, in a slow stream, while whisking well, for almost 5 minutes (use a beater if you have) and cool to room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Whisk eggs slightly with a fork.
- When the chocolate mixture is at room temperature, add the eggs in 4 parts, whisking well after each addition
- Fold the flour slowly, a little at a time,till it is incorporated. (to fold add a spoonful of flour at a time,mixing gently with a spatula or a metal spoon in a cut and turn motion, check web for technique)
- Pour the mixture into single cup-cake molds, till half of the mold is covered
- Put the cakes in the oven for 10-12 minutes and take it out once the outside is done and the center is still soft and gooey ( when u check the center with toothpick, should be gooey and not dry)
- Eat immediately for the yummiest molten cake ever …….
- Incase you want to eat the cakes later half cook the cakes initially and then put them back in the oven just before serving
- You could use coffee or Kahlua liqueur for added flavor
- Folding, basically implies, as little mixing as possible, to ensure the lightest batter possible
- Be careful not to over cook, its done if the tops are cooked and the sides are pulling away. Toothpick test should reveal a really gooey centre.